This three-day certified course is the NEW Health and Safety Authority standard for first aid at work that has now replaced the Occupational First Aid (OFA) training course. It is designed to provide participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to provide emergency first aid should the need arise.
This course is perfect for anyone who is required to act as first aider in their place of work, community group, voluntary organisation and in the home. It is also a fantastic introduction to providing emergency care and using a defibrillator.
Examination and Assessment is both practical and written and is held on Day 3 of the course.
This PHECC accredited First Aid Response course awards certificates which are valid for 2 years. A 2 day refresher course is required after two years to stay in certification.
All Mr Safety instructors delivering this course are Cardiac First Response Instructors registered with the Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council, First Aid Response Instructors registered with PHECC and hold a QQI trainers award for delivery of Occupational First Aid. This course is run to current Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council education and training standards and current HSA standards.
Upon completion of a recognised First Aid Response course the student will be able to:
- Recognise and Assess the causes and effects of sudden illness and/or injury in a pre-hospital environment and call for emergency medical services.
- React to such pre-hospital emergencies utilising their training and education.
- Respond in a safe, effective, and appropriate manner to such emergencies utilising the First Aid Response skill set.
- Record and Report actions and interventions taken while responding to and managing such incidents and during handover to emergency medical services.
- Retain a caring attitude in their role as First Aid Responders. The learning objectives in the Standard refer to the management of adults and children unless stated otherwise.
This three day course covers a comprehensive range of topics to prepare the qualified Occupational First Aider to administer emergency care in the workplace. Participants will learn a high level of practical skill and theoretical knowledge, so that they can deal competently with any situation that may arise in the working environment.
There are eight modules in the Occupational First Aid Course:
- First aid in the workplace.
- Patient assessment.
- Respiratory emergencies.
- Cardiac first response.
- Wounds and bleeding
- Altered levels of consciousness
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Burns and scalds, chemicals, electric shock
All will have hands on use of training mannequins and use training defibrillators (AED) for cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) scenarios. A variety of skills will be demonstrated and practiced by the participants. As all our instructors are frontline paramedics they add real value to the course content. The assessment is conducted by an independent Instructor recognised by the Health & Safety Authority.
This course is open to anybody who wishes to gain a Fetac qualification in basic first aid.
AV equipment and flipchart. Relevant video clips to emphasise the theoretical background.
Written : 20% Practical : 80%
No. of Participants:
Max 8 People
Fetac level 5 certification – Valid for 2 years